Saturday 2 June 2007

SHOP SHUT

When I first started this blog the intention was to highlight the problems of Metro parking congestion in East Boldon, something that was affecting both commerce and the aesthetics of the village; we were rapidly becoming a commuter car park. Over a three year period residents and business owners have asked politely, begged, demanded and finally pleaded for the council and its councillors to put controls in place which would free the village from the grip of abandoned cars. To date not one single measure has been put in place.

Three years ago I employed 7 members of staff, nearly all on a full time basis. Now I am the sole employee. Business income has halved over the last two years, and I have finally taken the decision to close the shop in September and move the business to another area, regrettably not in this borough. There has been a Longstaffs’s (the shop name) on this block for nearly 73 years, the nature of the business remaining virtually unchanged through out this period. Whilst managing to see off Adolf Hitler, it has taken the incompetence of Nexus and an abject failure of the Council in its duty of care, to finally close the shop down. Whilst the new tenants cannot be named yet for business reasons, put it this way they wont be selling anything the public in this community will be able to buy.

On a personal note, I have lived and worked on the shop promenade for 17 years, and have lived in the village for 41 years. Whilst my employment prospects are OK, I have been forced to move as well which causes me great anger; I have lived within a stones throwing distance of my mother and father, bother, mother and father in law, three sister in laws and two nephews/nieces and have found that close family presence sustaining and rewarding. It also leaves me with concerns for what is left behind; when I shut my doors another two shops will follow within 8 months as our trades are intrinsically linked. Boldon already has three estate agents, it doesn’t need another three! The residents and business owners have one final chance to try and change things at June’s CAF meeting, and we will be pushing for a considerable public presence. Posts will be placed here and on the sister site northernuproar.blogspot.com. For me it will be to late, as the uncertainty is to strong.

There are certain councillors from both main political parties who should be ashamed of themselves for the way they have failed to cater for people. Sadly, they don’t feel shame however, as they have never quite understood one of the main moral obligations of being elected by voters: representation. I remain convinced that their tenures as councillors are over, and the next elections will bring sweeping changes to certain wards and parties.

No comments:

VISITORS TO THE SITE