Wednesday 4 April 2007

THE USE OF THE LAW!

Whilst this week has been a time to lick our wounds (after all, Nexus have refused to do anything and the Council have abandoned us till at least next year) I have been as active as I can until we can formulate another campaign strategy.

Below is the text of a letter which I have sent to Inspector Peter Sutton of Northumbria Police. Inspector Sutton has always showed his commitment to this area and if he can help I am sure he will.

With regards to the future, watch this space, it should prove interesting!

Dear Inspector Sutton


EAST BOLDON METRO STATION/TRAFFIC CONGESTION

You will no doubt be aware from the last Boldon Cleadon and Whitburn CAF meeting that East Boldon has a serious problem with regards to traffic congestion as a result of what has become an extremely busy Metro Station. Whilst it is accepted that the excessive over spill parking on residential side streets is not a police issue as such, I believe that the build up of stationary traffic on the approach to the crossing both from the East Boldon and Cleadon side does fall within the Northumbria remit.

Internet access is a very powerful tool in obtaining information, but it does not immediately turn laymen into experts. However, I have managed to obtain the wording of the HIGHWAYS ACT 1835, and I believe that the cars parked in the direct vicinity of the crossing are actually breaking the law. The specific part of the legislation I am concerned with covers Section 72, in that those people who park with a part of their vehicle on the path have wilfully driven a motor vehicle on a footpath set aside for the use of foot passengers. I also have concerns that these actions may also contravene Section 34 of the ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1988, where the legislation has a similar approach.

My concerns centre also on the safety aspect of this congestion. Prams, buggies and wheel chair users are finding it very difficult at times to remain safely on the pavement due to cars parked in such a manor. There is also the aspect of traffic approaching from the Cleadon side having their way partly blocked by car congestion.

I am sure that you appreciate that my concerns on this issue are genuine, and that in the 15 year period I have been involved with this area of East Boldon I have always remained supportive of the police in the implementation of their duties. Whilst it is accepted that the area at present is not a “hot bed” of crime and as such the area is not a drain on police time, I would hope you would agree with the sentiment that when it does seek police assistance, it does so in the knowledge that the issue is a very real one. It is in with this sentiment that I would ask that you consider the legal argument which I have put before you, and should you concur, act accordingly.


Yours sincerely

Peter Shaw

Longstaffs Deli

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To Peter Shaw,

Where on the Internet did you find the text of the Highways Act 1835? Was it the full text that you found? I have searched and searched but without success. Help would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps you could post this info. on your blogg.
Many thanks.

VISITORS TO THE SITE